Aggie Rewards Winners!



Hutch Daniels

Men’s Basketball tickets

Craig Whyte

Concert and night stay at University Inn

Latrisha Fall

Concert and night stay at University Inn

Ryan Noel

USU game day clothing package

Matt Williams

Adventure night at the Ropes Course

Jenessa Pope

Date night at the Ropes Course

Stacey Jessen

One night getaway at University Inn

Nancy Branham

$300 textbook rental scholarship

Casey Major

$300 textbook rental scholarship


Utah State University Associate Professor of English, Evelyn Funda, on Utah Public Radio’s Access Utah


via: Tom Williams – Access Utah | 8/6/2013



Against that landscape of loss, Funda explores her family’s three-generation farming experience in southern Idaho, where her Czech immigrant family spent their lives turning a patch of sagebrush into crop land. The story of Funda’s family unfolds within the larger context of America’s rich immigrant history, western culture, and farming as a science and an art. Part cultural history, part memoir, and part elegy, “Weeds” reminds us that in losing our attachment to the land we also lose some of our humanity and something at the very heart of our identity as a nation.



#ThrowBackThursday: 1940s Merrill Libary / 2013 Agricultural Sciences BLDG

The Merrill Library opened in December 1930 and was built with a $175,000 state appropriation. The 30,000 square foot building consisted of a basement, plus three floors, and included an open reading room which would seat nearly 300 students. The building could hold 80,000 volumes and included booths and study carrels for faculty and graduate students as well as English and History offices for faculty and classrooms located on the top floor.


In 1958, a campus library committee, began developing plans for building a new library. The needs for additional classroom space, accommodating non-library tenants, and the influence of the State Building Board convinced the University to accept a project which essentially enclosed the 1930s structure in a brick and mortar box.


The new additions to the building were dedicated in 1967, and in the spring of 2006 the building was demolished. [adapted from ]


The Agricultural Sciences Building opened February 29, 2012..


The $43.1 million, 125,000-square-foot building was funded through the Utah State Legislature after approval in 2010 of Senate Bill 280 and replaced the E.G. Peterson Agricultural Sciences Building, constructed in 1953 on the Logan campus.


The north section of the building contains three stories of high-tech teaching and research labs used by students and faculty. It also houses new university-operated computer labs, classroom space, including lecture rooms and a 116-seat auditorium, student meeting rooms and the new Café on the Quad. The south section is a four-story structure and houses the faculty and administrative offices of the College of Agriculture, USU Extension and the Agricultural Experiment Station, as well as several centers, including Western SARE, Western Rural Development Center and the USU Botanical Center.


The Building’s plaza near USU’s historic quad houses the College of Agriculture Memorial, which honors the students and instructor who lost their lives in a tragic van accident in 2005.

[via ]

Going On Around Campus: Research Week April 10

Scholarship Day – April 10, 2013

D. Wynne Thorne Lecture

11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Campbell Scientific Lecture Hall (AgScience 101)

Lance Seefeldt, professor of chemistry and biochemistry, will give the annual address.




Faculty Author Exhibition

4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.  USU Library New Books Lounge

A researcher will give a short presentation on their books at a reception that will recognize all USU faculty authors who published books in 2012