The Merrill Library opened in December 1930 and was built with a $175,000 state appropriation. The 30,000 square foot building consisted of a basement, plus three floors, and included an open reading room which would seat nearly 300 students. The building could hold 80,000 volumes and included booths and study carrels for faculty and graduate students as well as English and History offices for faculty and classrooms located on the top floor.
In 1958, a campus library committee, began developing plans for building a new library. The needs for additional classroom space, accommodating non-library tenants, and the influence of the State Building Board convinced the University to accept a project which essentially enclosed the 1930s structure in a brick and mortar box.
The new additions to the building were dedicated in 1967, and in the spring of 2006 the building was demolished. [adapted from http://library.usu.edu/main/portrait/good_bye_merrill/ ]
The Agricultural Sciences Building opened February 29, 2012..
The $43.1 million, 125,000-square-foot building was funded through the Utah State Legislature after approval in 2010 of Senate Bill 280 and replaced the E.G. Peterson Agricultural Sciences Building, constructed in 1953 on the Logan campus.
The north section of the building contains three stories of high-tech teaching and research labs used by students and faculty. It also houses new university-operated computer labs, classroom space, including lecture rooms and a 116-seat auditorium, student meeting rooms and the new Café on the Quad. The south section is a four-story structure and houses the faculty and administrative offices of the College of Agriculture, USU Extension and the Agricultural Experiment Station, as well as several centers, including Western SARE, Western Rural Development Center and the USU Botanical Center.
The Building’s plaza near USU’s historic quad houses the College of Agriculture Memorial, which honors the students and instructor who lost their lives in a tragic van accident in 2005.
[via http://advs.usu.edu/htm/about-advs/facilities/agricultural-sciences-building/ ]